Friday, December 4, 2015

rosetta-stone

One thing that I've come to realize while being a Software Engineer is that I enjoy learning different programming languages, build tools, frameworks, libraries, etc in programming. Now, almost every language/framework/library has their own "How To" guide, but it's usually very basic - how to setup your environment, how to write your first line of code, how to compile, etc. I thought it would be fun to make a "How To" for programming tasks - print to the user, comparison, sorting, etc. That's when I stumbled up Rosetta Code's Programming Tasks page, which has an enormous list of different tasks done in various languages. Once I found this, I decided to make rosetta-stone.

rosetta-stone is a repository which has examples of various programming tasks done in various languages. The tasks that I have completed so far are:

  • hello-world - Print "Hello World!" to the standard out.
  • command-line-arguments - Print the total number of arguments and each argument to the standard out.
  • integer-comparison - Compare two integers and see if the first one is less than, equal to, or greater than the second.
  • string-comparison - Compare two strings and see if they are equal with and without case and their lexicographical ordering.
For each task, I currently have examples in Java, Scala, and Clojure, however I plan on expanding the number of languages in the future. I also plan on adding new tasks and categories as I progress.

Stay tuned for updates on this repository for new tasks and programming languages.

No comments:

Post a Comment