Saturday, March 29, 2014

I'm Back

So, I've been quite hectic these past few months with wedding planning and work, though I just wanted to say that I'm back and am trying to get started again with working on some side projects. However, not all of my time has been completely wasted so here's a quick run-down of a few things I have done in the meantime:

  • Wedding planning. Yes, I am engaged and am getting married on Saturday, July 26th, 2014 in Omaha, NE. For my wedding, I decided to try and take a stab at making my own website. I am usually not a UI developer, but I stayed to simple things such as HTML5, CSS, and a little bit of javascript and think it turned out well - http://www.wiechertwedding.com/. I am hosting the site on Digital Ocean because they're cheap (my plan has a max of $10 a month) and their documentation is great. After I had the site complete and a domain name purchased, I had it fully up and running within about 30 minutes by following their simple Ubuntu LAMP setup tutorial.
  • Finished reading A Clash of Kings, the 2nd book in the series "A Song of Fire and Ice", or as most people know, the 2nd book in the Game of Thrones series. Yes, I know this isn't coding related, but it was an awesome book and much better than the 2nd season of the show so I thought I should mention that I finished it. Now, we just have to wait for Game of Thrones season 4 to start on April 6th.
  • Scala. Yes, I have slowly continued with my scala learning though I fully intend to keep going now that I have more free time. I don't know what I posted about scala last time, but I have just finished chapter 11 in my scala book. The past few chapters started talking about scala's type system while looking at some simple examples of inheritance and polymorphism. I believe in the next few chapters it will start putting together some more concrete examples of how these things work together and that should really help me in learn this new language.
As I stated before, I plan on updating this blog more often now that work has calmed down a little and my wedding planning comes to an end.

P.S. - I'd like to give a shout-out to my friend Josh Branchaud because he started a github repo called splitting-atoms which has really taken off. It's a community driven tutorial/guide on how to build/best practices while building extensions for the new github atom text editor.

No comments:

Post a Comment